The Original Church 1784-1972
The "old" Randalstown church of St. MacNissi still standing on the Magheralane Road dates from 1784. It was built by the Father Peter O'Boyle, a native of Cargin, on a site where open air Masses were previously celebrated.
In 1824 the church was extended by Father Bernard McCann, a native of Ballynaleney, at a cost of ï¿½800 "raised by subscription".
In 1848 an acre of land was acquired from Lord O'Neill's estate by Father Daniel Curoe for the purposes of a burying ground. Father Curoe made many improvements to the church and had a huge influence in the parish and indeed in the diocese. It is said the parishioners of Drummaul regarded him as a saint and removed clay from his grave for devotional purposes.
The Replacement Church 1972-1997
In November 1972 the first replacement church of St. MacNissi, in the parish of Drummaul, was dedicated. Unfortunately this church was tragically destroyed by fire in 1997 and was preceeded with a new church building completed in 1999.
The "replacement" church, tragically destroyed by fire in 1997, was commenced while Father Richard O'Neill was Parish Priest and Father Vincent Maguire was Curate. When it was completed in 1972 Father Dan McGuckian had succeeded Father O'Neill as Parish Priest. The Church was dedicated on the 19th November 1972 by the Bishop of Down and Connor, Dr. WilIim Philbin, and the homily was given by Dr. Cahal Daly then Bishop of Ardagh and Clonmacnois. See Pictures in gallery.
The Present Church 1999-Present Day
On 5th December 1999 the present church was dedicated by the Bishop of Down and Connor Most Rev. Patrick Walsh, with the concelebrants Father Con Boyle, Father Hugh O'Kane, Father William McKeever and Canon Patrick McGarry.
See pictures in gallery.